MUN 9879

More scholarships, student financial assistance needed to sustain enrollment growth

University Executive Director for Institutional Planning and Development Dr. Ramiro Plopino said financial assistance and more scholarship options can further boost enrollment numbers.

Plopino said that even with a very healthy enrollment numbers which was further spiked by a record enrollment for its K to 12 program, there is a need for the University to map out a long term plan to sustain growth in student population.

He said that aside from a “vigorous marketing campaign” the University can benefit from increased scholarships and offering a variety of student loan schemes.

“They really need to market the University well and it can help if there is an increase in scholarships being offered or increasing financial assistance. For scholarships, the University usually have offers for those students graduating with honors. But what about the ordinary students who are also deserving of financial help,” Plopino said.

Ramos said the University can offer a scheme wherein 70 percent of the tuition fee will be shouldered by the office handling student loans and the remaining 30 percent will be coming from a third party guarantor.

“For the part of the University, it should never relax on payments because there will be too many collectibles,” Plopino said while adding. “So I suggested a system for two parties who would sort of put pressure for payments of dues to still be made.”

In a rough estimate, Plopino said the University might benefit from a further 10-percent increase in enrollment once a similar plan can be placed, adding that there are institutions and individuals that can act as guarantors.

The University currently offers scholarship programs for basic education, college, and graduate studies. Basic education scholarship schemes include BINHI, which is open to all incoming high school freshmen graduating with honors, and the Principal’s Scholarship given to the top student in at the grade school level.

Collegiate scholarships are the Gintong Ani for incoming college freshmen graduating from any public or private high schools with honors, and the Dean’s Scholarship given to limited qualified students with at least one year residency in the university. Meanwhile, the Leadership Scholarship is given to the university publication editor-in-chief and student council president.

Non-academic scholarship programs are the Loyalty Program for students of the university, the Baliuag U Band Member scholarship open to high school or college members skilled in playing musical instruments, and the Varsity Player scholarship given to limited qualified student-athletes.

Financial assistance programs are also available for student assistant applicants and University personnel pursuing post graduate studies. The University also offers educational subsidies for legal dependents of full-time employees.

According to Plopino, other areas of concern for the next academic school year would be to increase faculty members in preparation for the full integration of the K to 12 program next school year.

Despite teaching personnel being moved from college level down to senior high school, the University will be needing an additional 20 faculty members to come in once the school has freshmen and sophomore college students again.

Aside from recruitment activities to attract senior high school and college students, the University will also be needing more personnel for different offices in the campus.

According to Plopino, the University also plans to have an external affairs and linkage officer that will handle partnerships with other universities and companies both domestically and abroad.

“It is a prestigious post and often times filled by those that hold a doctorate degree. They need to be able to put the University in a position where it can strategically partner with educational institutions and companies as needed,” Plopino said.

The University is also set on revisiting admission and application policies along with its retention guidelines. Some curriculum reviews will also take place to make sure they are well-adjusted to the demands of the K to 12 program.

“There is a review of curriculum definitely because of the senior high implementation. CHED will issue the new PSGs (programs, standards and guidelines).  Some of the college subjects will be moved to senior high school.  The colleges will need to react to the changes based on the direction CHED will take,” Plopino said.

 

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+

Leave a Reply