BU HALINA (Baliuag University Hatid-Lingap sa mga Nangangailangan)
The desire to come up with a more organized and well participated community services led to the formal organization of a comprehensive community outreach program dubbed as BU HALINA ( Baliuag University Hatid-Lingap sa mga Nangangailangan) which was formally launched in August 1992.
BU HALINA is an integrated and developmental community outreach program participated in by students, faculty members and non-teaching personnel of the University’s different departments and service units. Following are the vision, mission and goals of the organization
BU HALINA envisions developing healthy, environmentally conscious, and productive members of the community functioning according to their potentialities and capabilities.
BU HALINA commits itself to initiate and implement projects and activities that will promote community development and will help meet the needs of the disadvantaged and under-privileged sectors in the municipality of Baliuag and its neighboring areas, through partnership with barangay people and linkages with government and non-government agencies.
- Active and organized community participation in health programs and projects.
- Increased people’s consciousness and concern for clean and greenenvironment.
- Promotion of health among the various sectors of the community, especially women, children and the elderly.
- Greater productivity through technical and other skills training for livelihood.
- Provision of educational assistance to children with learning difficulties.
- Each-One, Teach-One Project is an approach to provide tutorial services to assist pupils who are slow readers and non-readers in selected public elementary schools. This project has been undertaken by the College of Education and College of Arts and Sciences.
- Project Healthy Aging for the Elderly which provides physical, psychological and spiritual activities to the senior citizens in the community. These senior citizens are being met regularly every first and third Sunday of the month. With only five attendees at the start of the project, there are now more than eight hundred senior citizens participating in this project. These senior citizens have organized themselves into the Baliuag U Senior Citizens Club. This project is under the supervision of the College of Nursing.
- Skills Training for the Out-of-School Youth which conducts a three-month course on Practical Electricity. Electronics and TV Repair, Computer Literacy and Basic Maintenance. This project is a joint undertaking of the College of Arts and Sciences , College of Engineering and BU Alumni Organization.
- Project Clean and Green Environment, which mobilizes the community to become actively involved in the promotion and maintenance of a clean and green environment. This project is being undertaken by the Elementary School, High School and the various collegiate organizations.
- Cultural and Sports Development Project, which provides cultural, physical fitness and sports activities to the various barangays. This is primarily managed by the Physical Education Department participated by the BU Varsity Players, BU Dance Troupe, BU Chorale, BU Band and the various students organizations.
- Community Organizing Project which utilizes the Health Resource Development Program (HRDP) Model as a strategy in implementing Primary Health Care in the community. This project is being undertaken by the College of Nursing.
- Computer Literacy Project which conducts computer training to faculty and students in selected public schools who have no access to technical and information technology training.. This project is a joint undertaking of the College of Business Administration, College of Engineering and School of Information Technology Education.
- Basic Health, Medical and Counseling Services Project which assists in maintaining health of the underserved members of the community, especially women, children and elderly. The College of Nursing, College of Arts and Sciences, Guidance Center, Medical and Dental Clinic, Baliuag U Alumni Association and various student organizations have jointly been undertaking this project.
- Community Support Services Project that includes other services extended by the Baliuag University to the community such as providing consultancy services of its faculty members and sharing of the school’s facilities and resources for community outreach activities.
- Livelihood Skills Training Project. Lessons in Food Processing and Food Preservation, Massage and Reflexology and Beauty Culture are conducted for the out-of -school youths, mothers and adults as well. The College of Education, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Engineering, School of Hospitality Management and Tourism and the Baliuag University Alumni Association are jointly undertaking this project.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH & EXTENSION
Baliuag University Main Campus
Gil Carlos Street, Baliwag, Bulacan
Tel Nos.: +63(44) 766 2045 local 403