The library is one of the major frontliners of an educational institution. The Baliuag University (B.U.) Library now is far from the Baliuag Colleges (B.C.) Library of the fifties up to the nineties. Many changes and improvements have already taken place in the library as the University grows to meet global challenges.
During your stay in the University you will find that your life is not confined to the classroom, to the textbooks and to the company of your classmates. You will also gain the company of information resources and services of the library.
Reading opens up your eyes to new world that you may not possibly reach. It keeps you in touch with ideas and events throughout the world. It transports you back to the past or projects you into the future. Reading may not bring you instant wealth and happiness but through it you may become a more mature, more informed and more responsible citizen of the world.
The Baliuag University Library participates in the research and education program of the university by selecting, organizing, preserving and conserving books and other materials of contemporary interest and value for the education and intellectual stimulation of the entire students, faculty and administrative staff, and to provide easy access to the collections through retrieval tools and appropriate information services.
The Baliuag University Library’s librarians and information professionals find new ways of developing effective and collaborative partnership with the faculty, students, and administrative staff to be able to meet their diverse informational, research, educational and recreational needs.
- To provide materials and information services that are responsive to the needs of the academic and non-academic community and ensure their maximum accessibility and expeditious delivery.
- To provide pleasant, safe, accessible and well-maintained building and facilities which enhance the use of the library’s resources.
- To develop and maintain an effective staff committed to the provision of quality service.
- To facilitate public access to library collection and services and improve the efficiency of library operations through the appropriate applicant of automated systems for information retrieval, management and support services.
- To develop, organize, and maintain a collection of books, journals, government documents, maps, pamphlets, pictures, photographs, newspaper clippings, computer files, machine readable databases, videotapes, audiotapes, and other materials needed to meet the information, research, instructional, and related needs of the students, faculty and administrative staff.
- To develop and maintain vigorous and discriminating programs for the identification, selection, and acquisition of library materials needed to fulfill the library’s major responsibilities of supporting the university’s research and instructional programs, providing for information needs and advancement of learning.
- To support university research and instruction programs by the preparation and dissemination of bibliographic and reference guides and appropriate information services.
- To recruit and maintain a library staff of highly qualified individuals capable of a sustained level of high performance.
- To perform the financial analysis and conduct the short and long range planning essential to the determination of the financial needs of the library and to the judicious use of funds received.
- To publicize and promote awareness and use of the library’s resources and services to students, faculty and administrative staff through public relations programs and staff participation to campus activities.
- To explore and implement increased means for cooperative with other libraries on a regional, national, and international basis with regard to collection development programs, reference and information services, technical processes and interlibrary lending, particularly through the adaptation of computerized systems.
- To encourage and support, at all levels of the library staff, a lively interest in the pursuit of inquiry, whether practical or theoretical in scope, with a view to the constant enhancement of the library’s programs and services and the professional growth of its staff.
To achieve these objectives, the library must constantly strive for:
- Effective administration and competent staff;
- Adequate financial support;
- Adequate staffing;
- Efficient organization of library materials;
- Efficient services to customers;
- Clean, safe and adequate facilities;
- Continuing staff development and training.
- Bibliographic Service – Every quarter, the library distributes “Annotated List of New Acquisitions” and a “Bibliography of Classified New Books / Revised Titles” to deans of colleges and heads of departments.
- Book Display – A book display, one of the regular library features, is found in every section of the library. The new books are placed on display for browsing for a period of time before they are finally put into circulation.
- Current Awareness – The library disseminates important current information. Relevant articles from recent periodicals in different areas of disciplines are gathered together and disseminated to Deans of Colleges and Heads of different departments.
- Automated Circulation – Check-in and check-out of books are computerized. It records loan transactions of all kinds including statistics of use.
- Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) – This facilitates the retrieval of appropriate materials on specific topics using the computer instead of the traditional card catalog.
- Customer Service – The Reference and Information Service Section provides personal assistance to every library customer to be able to meet his information needs.
- Library Tour – The library in coordination with the English Department conducts students’ library tour to the different library sections.
- Vertical File Materials – These include clippings, pamphlets, brochures, booklets which are arranged in alphabetical order by subject. You will find these materials at the Reference Section.
- Picture Collection – This is located at the Reference Section which includes all kinds of mounted pictures on all subjects, such as plants, animals, churches, forests, etc.
- Query File – This is a collection of queries received and answered by the reference librarian. This file is arranged alphabetically according to topic.
- Photograph Collection – This is a collection of old and new photographs on different occasions and celebrations at Baliuag U. This is located at the Archives Section.
LIBRARY DEPARTMENT OFFICE
Baliuag University Library Building
Gil Carlos Street, Baliwag, Bulacan
Tel No.: +63(44) 766 2045 / 766 3344
Archives & Museum Section – 405
Basic Education Section – 406
Chief Librarian’s Office – 407
Circulation Section – 408
Filipiniana Section – 409
Reference Section – 410
8:00 am – 5:00 pm